Saturday, July 03, 2004

Freedoms

My mother and I saw Fahrenheit 9/11 last night. It left me feeling angry, sad and very drained. I try to keep in mind, although Michael Moore criticizes the media for their hesitancy to portray the truth, he too is another form of media portraying his truth and ideas through the film medium. However, I agree with his viewpoints and some of the footage in his film just increases my animosity toward George Bush. I suppose in some ways I am not moving toward much better in that I am moving to a country with a prime minister that many parallel to George Bush. But I will be moving to a country in which the media appears to some extent to be more aware of the truth....there is at least a greater world view. One part of the film that really got my blood boiling was when a woman who had lost her son in Iraq was disrespected by what appeared to me an upper-class white woman who probably has had little to do with anyone with significant differences from herself. For this woman to make statements that disregard the extreme significance of this young man's death, is what I view as the over all ignorance of America. She told this mother to blame it on AL-Qaida, expanding upon her ignorance regarding what the war in Iraq is really about. I understand that 9/11 was a horrible tragedy and it often brings tears to my eyes when it was discussed. But, do Americans realize this has been happening to countries and cultures for years? Do you realize that entire cities have been destroyed in Iraq to meet the government's financial gain, at the cost of young men and women's lives lost for no good purpose....I could rant forever so I'll stop there for now. I think I am going to like this blog. It's a great opportunity to vent! :-) Tata for now! Lis

No comments: